View Single Post
Old 15-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #21
Flip

Bike: M900
That is a great piece on engineering and perseverance but you have to weigh up not only personal ability to carry out the task but also how much time you actually want to dedicate to it Vs having a bike that can be ridden rather than constantly worked on.

For further information here are the basics of how Richard at Maxton described the issues I had with the standard (fully adjustable) Marzocchi forks on my 900:

As standard the (Marzocchi- can't speak for Showa) forks feel very notchy and harsh and kick off small bumps, this is because they have too much compression damping over small movements.

However, when you brake very hard you may be able to feel the forks bottom out, this is because there is not enough support in the compression damping over large movements. This is exaggerated when braking hard on a bumpy surface with each bump compounding the compression until eventually you would run out of travel.

The other problem with the damping is there is not enough rebound damping which means when you let go of the brake the forks spring back at you and the bike does not turn into the corner as well as it should, this also causes the bike to run wide out of a corner.

The springs inside the forks are actually too hard and Maxton fit softer springs to suit your rider weight and also to suit the type of riding you do.

The biggest improvement felt is from increasing the rebound damping to control the forks extension, reducing the compression damping over small bumps to stop the forks kicking off them and increasing it over large movements giving more support with the spring.

rac3r had a similar dilemma to this at the tail end of last year and again there were plenty of comments and opinions:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ghlight=maxton