View Single Post
Old 13-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #21
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I tried heated grips.. palms of hands hot tops and tips of fingers still froze. It got a bit unnoticable below -5.
I did get some really cheap MX hand guards, keep the wind off and it improves (a bit).
Gloves are key, I did try some of those lobster claw gloves. Kind of worked but I'm usually single finger on the brake rider so not ideal. I ended up with some midrange winter gloes and silk liners though merino would have been better.
Top tip.. the engine makes a great hand warmer

On the video, many around Gloucestershire will have been over the plump into the Forest of Dean, benign in the rain and sun, bugger in the snow. The sweeping corner as you get towards the crest is distinctly off camber. One day rounding that in the snow (and dark too) following the car tracks I thought we were a bit twitchy, took a look and yep it's not the road just ice.
By the time I'd done a few more miles the roads were more like ice rinks, the mireystock crossroad was just a mess of stuck and abandoned cars and trucks and there was foot peg level snow so I diverted sideways through the forest itself where at least it was virgin snow on gradients for heavily loaded logging trucks which was fun.
Got home and decanted to the local as I wasn't going to bother trying to get to work as all the roads in and out were officially shut.
Winter snow tyres would help a lot but who does that over here??
Top tip.. the monster is quite capable on fire breaks but watch the bottomless drainage ditches.

Best tip though is watch it from somewhere warm