Thread: Clutch Drag…
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2023, 08:34 AM   #16
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Sounds like the clutch pack is too thick to me.

From memory, I think they state 38.5mm is the correct overall thickness, including all frictions and plain plates but I would advise that is the maximum as I find at that thickness that there is likely to be too much drag, making finding neutral tricky when the engine is running and bike stationary.

I set mine at 38mm or even a tad less, do this by replacing one or more of the 2mm plain plates with 1.5mm plates. Tip; if you have enough 1.5mm plates you can often 'juggle' things around enough to get an extra friction plate in - I have in both mine but I also only fit one plain plate at the bottom of the pack rather than the 2 normally fitted (always use a 2mm there though). This gives a better clutch action and longer life IMO but, obviously you can only do this if you have an extra plate (some 'kits' are supplied with 1 extra).

With regards to the correct pack thickness and obtaining an easy neutral, when you've assembled the clutch, before starting the engine - pull the clutch lever fully in and you should be able to rotate the clutch by hand, if there's any drag you will feel it. I like to get mine free enough that if I 'spin' it (clutch lever fully in) it will rotate freely and even over-spin a little once I let go, this way it'll be free enough for easy neutral. If it turns but drags so that when you let go after a 'spin' it stops dead then chances are you will have problems selecting neutral at a standstill.

As for being too thin a pack, if this is the case you might get slippage but I have never experienced slippage (other than when I had an oil leak through the pushrod oil seal on my 916) due to a worn clutch even when very worn/thin as the springs are strong enough to clamp the clutch tight - it might help that I have stainless springs which I think are stronger than standard but for a time I ran my 916 with just 4 springs (makes a lovely, light clutch) and still never had any slippage.

As mentioned above, I never use the dished plates either as I see no benefit in doing so but this divides opinion with many telling me I'm mad/wrong/stupid but I have never had a problem due to this and both of my Ducati dry clutches are smooth, progressive, slip-free and able to find neutral at standstill so, I'm claiming victory.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote