View Single Post
Old 25-07-2023, 09:09 AM   #4
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
From the manufacturer's viewpoint cable operation will be a cheaper option and possibly lead to either a better margin or a more competitive retail price.
Most clutch actuating mechanisms operate via a push rod through the main shaft of the gearbox which means a cable clutch has a cable routed across the top of the gearbox or a cranked pull from the front, the cable can suffer with a tortuous route to the LH lever, particularly around the headstock. Hydraulics have less of a problem with sharp corners on route between the master and slave cylinders and are easier to route away from excessive heat which might adversely affect a cable. Manufacturers, I suspect, would prefer a hydraulic operation when designing a bike platform as it would be easier to accommodate a multitude of handlebar positions , instrument clusters, exhaust routings across a range of types of motorcycle.
From a reliability perspective my experience of both cable and hydraulic I have never had a cable break but on 3 occasions have had hydraulics misbehave
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote