Thread: We're Home
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #27
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
I thought you voted for me
Oh but I DID, but not in the category that you won! (Which wasn’t present on my voting slip anyway.) I even admired it in flow along 50 miles of the A272… thanks to you and Mart for the company going back, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Ah! So that's the Belgian way. Well I think it rocks.
It does rock, but it’s not really Belgian, it's just the Drop-off system. Way better than sticking to a convoy.

Quote:
It's actually not too hard to keep up with JP, but then it's always reasonably steady at the front of the run.
JP was intentionally taking it steady, trust me. As he said at the briefing, it was intended to be more of a parade than a fast ride, but the beauty of the drop off system is that even that allows for some fun when gaps inevitably open up.

Quote:
Hence it makes more sense for Captain Slow and his nervous mate to be at the front with Captain Flashheart at the rear.

Some of the old British owners clubs practice a method where you always keep the bike behind you, in sight...So a bit of waiting and loitering is not unknown...Perhaps not really suitable for Monsters?
In my experience, that method just leads to frustration for those who want to move on a bit, and undue pressure for those who don’t, and unwanted responsibility for everyone to keep someone in their mirrors. The drop off system lets everyone relax and go at their own pace, knowing there’ll be someone waiting at the next junction. And and as long as people are sensible and courteous with their overtakes, it’s arguably the safest of the two methods.

A nice tweak to the drop-off is if the leader matches his pace with the bike in #2 slot, and then everyone gets a chance to admire the swan-like grace of the leader for a bit, and maybe even learn something.

A really nice bonus tweak is NOT flying up the INSIDE of another bike on the same side of the road in a 40 mph limit - I'm mentioning no names/bikes here, but you'll know who you are.

I thought it was a flawlessly run ride-out Sunday. Nice one JP.