View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 05:46 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Why you change belts.

I popped the belts off my 750SS at the weekend to do a valve service and had a little surprise.

The belts are Exactfit installed two years ago. I did 16 miles to and from an MOT and the engine has not turned since while I've been playing silly beggars taking various bits apart.

I've tried to photograph some little indentations I found. The belts held their shape when removed and the dents were where the tensioner rollers sat.
They've since gone more round and the dents seem less deep.

Is this why it's really bad to leave belts sitting for ages? Not only were the belts rather stiff and set in shape, but those little dents will probably bump the rollers every time they go round and cause some local heating and stress.
Needless to say I won't be re-fitting them even though the Exactfit belts on the Monster are going into their third year, but you see I use that one.

Incidentally, I just ordered new Ducati belts from Moto Rapido via eBay. They were only £39.50 posted, I don't think I've ever bought belts that cheap. Exactfit are £71. So dive in there quick if you need belts for a 750/600/620/800