View Single Post
Old 17-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #1335
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Well I'm back on the project after almost exactly a year.
I have not been idle and every couple of weeks I would spend some time checking one or other aspect of the wiring and each time I was disappointed with the same result - no sparks. It was very disheartening and every day I went in the garage I looked at the "ornament" on the workbench and had a ponder as to what to do next but ideas eventually dried up. It had defeated me.
I am a member of the Morini Riders Club and a certain Benjy Straw advertises in the club magazine operating an electrical repair service for anything Italian (brave man - but obviously mainly Morini focused) from a "secret location near Tonbridge" which turned out to be about 6 miles from me.
The Morini had a broken kick starter spring which I was unable to source anywhere and he had one so both bikes were packed into a van and sent off to him. It took a lot longer than anticipated as first he went on holiday, then I went on holiday then he got Covid.
He spent 5 days on the Monster and returned it to me with great big fat sparks on both cylinders. Hurrah!!!
It turns out my wiring would have worked but there were a few things that together contributed to no sparks
1. I had high performance coils designed for a carbie Monster from Exact (imported California Cycleworks components) and the impedance on these coils is 4 ohms - the Ignitech recommendation is for lower impedance coils 2 to 3 ohms
2. I was using the leads and plug caps supplied with the coils - why wouldn't you? The standard plug for a Monster is a resistor plug and these plug caps were also resistor caps - apparently a poor combination for a good spark
3. I had wired a common earth from the Ignitech unit and the Hall effect sensors - apparently separate earths would improve the chances of the signal from the sensors not being corrupted
4. I had wired the Hall effect sensors (6 wires) into a single 7 core cable for neatness of the loom, Benjy felt that two separate 3 core leads was a better solution.
5. I had wired the coil power lead with 1 x 1mm cable split close to the coils into 2 x 1mm cables he recommended 2 x 2.5mm cables from the fuse box.
He said that probably none of these issues alone would have prevented a spark but in combination it they overwhelmed the possibility of it working.
I still have a few things to do but that will follow on later posts
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote