View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I would be interested to see if you can improve those forks. I have fully adjustable Showas on my Sie too.

I've got no complaints about the handling, steering or roadholding on mine at all.
I did start to think that the ride could be smoother at one time and I got a bit fed up with bumps.
I backed off the damping a little, to see if it would ride the bumps a bit smoother. By coincidence I then started using mainly better surfaced A roads for my trips out of the County. The ride was certainly more comfortable and I noticed no adverse effects to the handling.
However when I returned to riding my beloved Norfolk B roads, I noticed some difficulty in holding a line round some of my favourite bends. Worse still was the effect of the bumps on the steering, deflecting wildly off some of the road "imperfections".

I dialled the damping back to about one click from factory default on rebound and compression and regained control... Sure I feel the bumps... I ride bloody bumpy roads, but I now go where I want to go and not where the bumps send me, so I think it's about right.

I don't know what spring rate I have nor the exact oil viscosity, but according to the previous owner there is an Ohlins cartridge in there? maybe I will have a look one day when I feel the need for an overhaul, but till then as mentioned I will be interested to see if you can make any improvements.

I did also notice that she became a bit "wanderey" towards the end of Summer, she had a bit of a meander round some bends?
My first thoughts were that the head bearings were on the way out, but it turned out to be a flat coming on the back tyre. I managed to transform the handling back to normal in two minutes by grinding the tyre back round.. I kid you not.

My point is that tyres can alter the feel of a bike profoundly.... Might be the first place to look?

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 05-12-2016 at 10:08 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote