View Single Post
Old 30-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #12
PPuxley

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
So you could use the strobe as a diagnostic when you swap the coils and the same swapping the leads.

It might not be a strobe problem at all? Once you have a nice fat spark and good current running through the leads I expect the strobe will work okay?
Still not sorted.
  • I swopped the coils WITH THEIR LEADS, and the problem stayed on the vertical.
  • I have had the alternator casing off and checked the pick ups for air gaps and the ignition timing, statically, I made a very slight adjustment. No change to fault, it stays on the vertical (wet plug )
  • I have now deployed the new (old) strobe that arrived yesterday. It works on the horizontal cylinder at idle and mid range and demonstrates that the ignition is slightly over advanced
  • On the vertical it only flashes at idle , again showing slight over-advance. Then fails to flash at mid range revs.
  • For good measure swopped the plugs, no change. Have also tried the old plugs and a set of new ones -no change

WTF??
The only thing I havent swopped from horizontal to vertical are the ignition pick ups and the carbs. And the wet plug fault remains resolutely on the vertical.

PICK UPS
Can a pick up really lead to a fault like that- its a trigger, it either triggers or doesnt and all the resistance readings are good.

CARBS
So, is it back to the carb? The choke plunger not seating properly when choke is "closed"?
Could an over rich mixture then lead to a supressed spark at rising revs that wouldnt give enough inductive power to fire a strobe????
Im clutching at straws here, now