View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I think Jerry means the standard .. aluminium .. dash panel.

I used to have one of these units and I agree .... the carbon dash looks too flimsy to support the speedo etc on its own .... because it is.
My initial thoughts were also that it is merely a cover for the std dash .. but this is not the case.
In my opinion, the design is poor.
Its as if the designer simply assumed that because a component is made from carbon fibre then it must by definition be strong, while neglecting all other mechanical considerations.
It doesn't help that the revcounter module itself is extremely heavy and is located at max distance from the two support bolts, thus giving max leverage and bounce.
I had one fitted to my 750 for about a year and the resultant bouncing of the speedo caused its mounting bolts to fracture (note that these bolts consist of two steel sections with a rubber piece bonded in the middle, presumably to deal with vibration, and they fractured at the bond).
Luckily, I managed to repair the bolts but it wasn't an easy fix and it could easily have cost me a new speedo.
Having said all that, I know that Flip has had one fitted for some time and has reported no problems ... and I do trust his mechanical judgement.
Maybe some essential part was missing from the secondhand unit that I had .. though tbh I can't really see how that could be.

The 750 doesn't really need a revcounter in my opinion anyway and my main reason for wanting one was to be able to work out which gear I was in and thus avoid searching for another gear which wasn't there.
A gear position indicator would probably be both more useful and simpler, though I usually get some flack for suggesting that I might fit one.
Tbh, all it really needs is an indicator for top gear only.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote