View Single Post
Old 21-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #1106
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Sorry Slob I did not spot your post on page 73 (number 1098 spooky) until this morning. The simplicity of your design of DTI bracket appealed and decided that it would be easier to make a Mk2 version than to modify the Mk1 to make it functional.
Here it is

the DTI has a spigot on the bottom beneath the gauge itself which fits inside a 10mm nut welded to the horizontal plate. The nut was drilled and tapped 4mm so 2 x 4mm grub screws can secure the DTI in position.
I was almost hoping that making the DTI probe touch the rocker nearer its pivot point would allow the travel on the DTI to record all movement of the valve, but it doesn't. I think I may get in a big muddle trying to work out crankshaft rotation in degrees forward and backwards.

Next job was to make a stop to hit the piston before and after TDC. I think I would prefer an aluminium head on it so that it does not mark the piston and, in any case, I had no 12mm bolts the right thread also I do not have a die that could replicate the plug thread, 12mm x 1.25mm.
So I decided to utilise an old spark plug. getting rid of the ceramic bit was taken care of by a hammer but left me with a plug of ceramic from the top of the nut to the electrode. and it would not come out either way. Eventually, I worked out that the steel bit of the plug just above the nut had been swaged over the ceramic and once this was ground off it came out easily. I drilled it through 7mm and turned up some 10mm aluminium bar which was then araldited in.
Finally, I marked up my adjustable cam pulleys and even managed to get the vertical belt on and tensioned before the temperature in the garage drove me indoors.
test teclado
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote