Thread: DIY Belt Change
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #28
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Interesting. The later manual shows both points but the horizontal belt suggests the moveable/tensioner roller side, which I’d expect to be tighter.
Just my opinion but I would guess that in each case the longest run of the belt is specified, whether that be on the "drive" side or the "slack" side.
Also that in each case the length of free belt between pulley and roller is the same, whether that roller is the tensioner or the idler.
Its the combination of length and tension which gives the frequency .. as any stringed instrument player will confirm.

At rest, I would expect the belt tension to be uniform throughout its entire length.
The vibrational frequency will vary though, depending on the free length of each section.

Whatever method is used, my personal opinion is that there is quite a wide tolerance on belt tension anyway ... though again that's just my personal opinion.
As long as the belt isn't ridiculously tight or so slack that it flaps around or risks jumping a tooth, I don't reckon it has much effect on either engine performance or belt life.
That said though, I always like mine to be as near to ideal as I can get them.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote