View Single Post
Old 24-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #571
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I had a thoroughly frustrating couple of days, failing to make up the penultimate male 5 pin connector to the instrument panel, 2 hours on Thursday and 3 on Friday for one bloody connector and it is still not made. In the end on both days, I just had to leave it and do something else or I would not have had any hair left.
When all else fails there is always filling and sanding of the molds, I know I am always saying this but this time I think it is true, one last fill and rub down cycle should see them all ready for primer resin, so 2 hours on Thursday and 2 hours on Friday were well spent.
I also managed to modify the mold for the ignitech box to take the reversed M900 regulator (now hanging from a titanium bar through the steering head below and behind the steering head).
Finally, I worked out the design for the attachment of the carbon fibre air scoops and for the loom supports to be brazed on the inside of the frame rails. I have plenty of 3mm steel flat in both 20mm and 25mm widths but I wanted 2mm to be able to use rubber cable grommets to insulate the panels and the loom from vibration/shocks. The only 2mm steel I had readily available was 2mm wall box section tube which would have meant a lot of cutting and some not very uniform looking brackets (I have a congenital inability to cut a straight /square line with a hacksaw). I need 8 brackets for the 4 air scoops and 4 for attaching the loom to the frame. Fortunately, I found some zinc plated strengthening pieces and enlarged the holes and made a reasonable fist of making them all approximately the same, picture below taken before final filing and trimming. The plan is to braze the to the inside of the frame parallel to the axis of the frame tube and fit the grommets, for the CF scoops a 5mm socket cap screw will go through an integral bracket on the scoop and a nylon P clip will hold the loom parallel to the relevant frame rail, for the loom brackets a cable tie will pass through the grommet and around another suitably sized split grommet wrapped around the loom. Should work I think.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote