View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #260
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
2 steps forward, one and a half back today. But progress is knowing not only what you want to do but crucially how it is to be done.
I started on the battery box mock up based on a certain size of battery, when I made the dummy battery I knew it would be challenging to accommodate all the electrics and the selected battery in the space behind the head stock.
Spent most of the day fiddling about with the mock up and realized finally about 5 .00 that it was never going to fit. The carburetors even with foam pod filters just take up too much room. Gave myself a bit of a scare as well as I am not 100% sure there is enough clearance on the bottom of the tank for the carburetors.
I have now acquired the electronic black box to replace the relays and the fuse box.
Solution now is to research an alternative battery with enough oomph to start the beast but packaged smaller.
Also tried to start on the Mosfet regulator mounting (in the absence of the actual regulator which has not arrived yet). You will recall I intend to hang the plate beneath the centre line of the steering stem and mount the regulator on a plate that does not turn with the steering.
Made the threaded bar to hang the assembly from the top yoke centre nut and turned the threaded aluminium bush all OK. But when I tried to shorten the bronze bush in the lathe it spun out of the chuck and destroyed itself.
I was not completely happy with the original design anyway as I was concerned that to get it tight enough not to jiggle about with vibration etc it would have to be too tight for the oiled bush to overcome the friction. So I bought a thrust race from Simply Bearings for about £4 which should do the trick, although I will have to consider how to keep road grit and salt and spray outside the bearing itself
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote