View Single Post
Old 20-05-2021, 10:03 PM   #89
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
A bit more progress over the last few days, I made up the 530 rear chain and managed to get the plate spacing within 0.05mm of the rest of the chain and the rivet heads compressed to within 0.07 of the rivet heads on the rest of the chain. My chain maker/breaker is a bit laborious as past experience has taught me; you compress the plates a bit then measure it, do it up a tad more and it is still too wide, and then all too easily you have gone too far and the chain has a tight link. You have to creep up on it slowly and methodically which is what I did in this case. Result.
I managed to source two petrol taps from a Bevel twin (£40) as the correct Morini taps including one with a solenoid were simply not available. It is an odd way of doing it there is a male boss threaded M16 x 1 welded to the tank base and the tap has a nut about 12mm deep, the tap itself has a left-hand thread and between the end of the tank boss and the tap there is one of those tubular plastic filter screens so the nut is only c 6mm onto the tank boss and the tap is only < 6mm onto the nut compressing the screen.
I did a bit of wiring tidying up but soon got bored with that so thought I would give the carburetors one last clean and re-assemble them (I cannot put them together completely as I am awaiting delivery of the pilot jet). Clumsily I managed to drop one of them and broke the lever that controls the choke on that carburetor. The lever lifts a 4mm dia brass rod attached to a piston with a seal at the bottom. The piston is normally held down by a spring and the lever is attached to the brass rodd by a 2mm brass pin. The brass rod passes through a small casting that is secured to the main body of the carburetor by a 5mm countersunk screw.
I made a new lever out of some 10mm plate, drilling 4mm holes in two planes to form a slot to take the brass rod. A lot of filing was involved and it took some time but did not cost anything to replace a part that probably is not available anymore.

The replacement is not as elegant (or fragile) as the original but it was quite satisfying getting it made and it works as it should.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote