View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #86
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Thanks Dave G, I found my puller and with the aid of a rattle gun the flywheel/alternator rotor was soon off.
The alternator is inside out, the windings are held onto the crankcase by 3 x 6mm set screws and the magnets are attached to the inside of an aluminium flywheel that is on a taper with a very shallow woodruff key. It will not be possible to centralise the air gap between the rotor magnets and the windings because the aluminium flywheel housing is in the way.
The right-hand outer casing has similar slots cast into the front but unlike the clutch side these are not blind so the flywheel and windings and the end of the crankshaft are effectively exposed to the elements.
Inboard of the flywheel there is a coil spring that had corroded solid to the crankshaft. A couple of doses of penetrating oil and a large lever freed it off. Inboard of that is a circlip, a lighter gauge coil spring and the dished outer belt retaining plate. The dishing is obviously designed to encourage the belt to stay on the pulley as is the spring loading of the plate.
There is no means of belt adjustment consequently belts are made in 3 sizes (A, B and C). Replacement is scheduled at 20000km or 3 years or if the trailing run of the belt can be moved more than 6mm at the centre point between the two pulleys. Belts are c £37 each delivered within a couple of days.
The belt drives the camshaft between the V and at the other end the electronic ignition trigger.
Because it runs at half speed there is obviously no wasted spark on the ignition system.

350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote