View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #81
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
A rather successful day today, the kick-starter is back in place, the lever returns to vertical, perhaps a little lazily but does so and there is no ratcheting noise when I turn the clutch/gearbox input shaft.
I stripped it down again and found a slight witness mark on the kick-starter shaft where the gear runs this was I think causing the ratchet to be constantly engaged as it restricted the movement of the gear towards the centre of the engine.
Also, the return spring had a burr on it where it contacted the retaining post.
With both of these very minor imperfections remedied I put it back together, which was a lot more difficult now that everything moved as it should, holding the whole assembly in the correct position, engaging the shaft in the crankcase and meshing the gear whilst retaining the pre-load on the spring and inserting the spring retaining post. The clutch cover then had to be manipulated so the gearbox shaft came through the clutch basket, the oil pump seal located in the boss in the outside case and the ignition trigger shaft lined up with the oil seal in the outer case, all whilst maintaing a compression on the spring otherwise the component of the assembly just went their separate ways
I did manage to tear the outer half of the gasket where it went around the outside of a case retaing bolt but the inner portion is intact so cross fingers it will still seal.
The remainder of my time today was machining M10 bolts to make replacement clutch spring posts. Making 5 posts exactly the same stretched my measuring and machining skills and I was very glad I bought a 4.2 mm drill to tap out 5 posts each for 22mm. Tapping aluminium I can usually get away with a 4mm drill but a high tensile bolt is a different kettle of fish. These should get welded in tomorrow and the clutch can then be re-assembled.

Last edited by 350TSS; 03-05-2021 at 06:43 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote