View Single Post
Old 19-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #16
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'd second everything Flip said in his earlier post.
We're both probably old skool type Motorcyclist who believe the cheque book isn't always the first answer. (Showing my age there! It's the card or PayPal account now!)

So adding to what Flip said. I would also sit on the bike, preferably on a paddock stand, with the front chocked level if possible (in the absence of a centre stand...Oops there goes the age again!)
As well as loosening the lever assys, also loosen the bar clamps so the bars will revolve with a bit of resistance.
You can then pop your feet on the pegs and morph the bars and levers into a relaxing position, noting Flips comments about finger and wrist orientation. In this loose state the bars will not take your weight, you will find yourself compensating with your lower back and thigh muscles.. That's the feedback as to where you will be most comfortable.
Tighten everything in a chosen position and try again, noting your back and thigh muscles letting off, but your shoulders and/or wrists taking over. A couple of goes should get things sweet.
Also to consider is the position of your bum, fore and aft in the saddle.
The air pressure at high speeds, will turn the weight on the bars into a negative force, and you find yourself gripping too hard and pulling on the bars...Bad! I find it very advantageous to shift back slightly when high speed cruising. This restores the balance and comfort.
The reverse is true when in town at slower speeds.. Move forwards to relieve your wrists and shoulders of the weight.
The riding position is a dynamic. You only have to watch a few seconds of a racing rider to confirm that! Shifting about a bit on a long journey helps to keep you comfortable and sharp.

M900Sie... Most comfortable bike of 43 machines over 45 years.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 19-01-2019 at 01:13 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote