View Single Post
Old 19-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #985
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I started to make the front seat mounting arrangement, basically copying the original Monster concept of two hooks that will engage with the bridge of the frame and keep the front of my seat attached to the bike.
The design will have to be asymetrical left to right, as the chain oiler reservoir constrains space on the LH side. It consists of a 3mm aluminium plate 150mm x 58mm across the width of the seat with “captive nuts” ( two blocks of 6mm aluminium plate 58mm x 13mm each drilled and tapped 5mm) attached to the uppermost surface from beneath by 3mm csk allen screws.
get url for picture

This plate will be set in “oasis” foam and bonded/laminated to the CF seat base.(hopefully at an angle that means the hooks are not more than about 25mm deep otherwise there will be too much leverage on the 5mm screws holding the hooks to the 3mm plate).

The hooks will be 2 x 10mm plates shaped and attached by 5mm socket screws to the 3mm plate bonded to the seat. These hooks will extend forward of the front edge of the seat pan by about 25mm to engage in the frame bridge. Getting the shape and angle of the hooks right will not be easy and I foresee a lengthy tweaking process to get the seat to sit right.
Another imponderable is whether the foam and upholstery material extends beneath the lower edge of the seat base or only the upholstery material, this could make a 6 to 8mm difference in the bottom edge of the seat. Ideally the bottom line from the tank should extend upwards and follow the frame line, a 6 or 8mm discontinuity in this line will just look shoddy.
This seems an extraordinarily complex way of doing it, but there are no lugs or bolt holes anywhere near to attach a simple inverted U shaped aluminium bracket and I really like the idea of the seat being QD via a single sprung loaded latch at the back. The hooks are an essential component to that working and mounting them the way I am proposing means that I can adjust the height of each hook by packing them away from the bonded in 3mm plate.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote