Thread: radiator s4
View Single Post
Old 22-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #13
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I guess if the new one has the same number of fins and spacing is the same it's just a case of counting the fins
Heh. I regret to say that I'm almost certainly going to measure. More than once

Quote:
and putting the plug through the core in the same place and bending the fins to suit? With great care as i imagine it's not something you could afford to get wrong?
Well, based on my experience with radiators I didn't much care about, the core itself - eg the hollow rib the cooled medium flows through - is the delicate thing; the internal fins are relatively weak and not especially strongly attached. Not quite tin foil - but their purpose is to add surface area and the thinner they are the more you can fit in, sooo...

When I get to it, I'm planning on removing one of the fans, perhaps popping one of the plugs out and taking a gander at it, if not immediately obvious already. Should be reasonably easy to figure out if the hole is cut (eg drilled, fins removed) or the fins were just coerced out of the way (eg hole formed with increasing diameter pointy drifts or the like). I kind of expect the latter would do the job.

Quote:
I've not had mine apart that far, so I don't know what the plugs look like even.
Yeh, I'm envisaging a hollow threaded tube, with that mushroom head spanning the core, just long enough to almost reach to the other side, with the hex so you can hold it to stop rotating while you nip up the fan screw. Which look pretty short in the diagram, meaning the plug has to reach most of the way through.

But time will tell

Quote:
Those anti vibration rubber things must do something since mine is only held on with one bolt in one top bracket, the other 2 must be held by the position of the rad and the hoses and frame tabs holding it all captive but allowing just enough free play.
Yeh, I've looked at the parts diagram multiple times; the bottom fixing seems to have some kind of wacky bolt in the case with a sleeve (that I'm guessing the rubber thingy just slides over), and one bolt at the top.

Eh? WTF do the others do then??? Just hold it off the frame???

LOL. I expect it's one of those things that'll all make sense once it comes apart.
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote