View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 10:45 AM   #11
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
I read this somewhere - words to the effect - "Ducatis are wasted spark ignition - firing every crank turn and the marginal coils (on carbies) do not get enough time to recover before being fired again. If you add in a bigger plug gap the coil barely pushes out enough juice to jump the gap and when it does the spark is a bit later so the actual burn of the fuel commences later i.e. the actual ignition runs a bit retarded (the timing trigger says go but the conditions in the cylinder head determine when the spark actually jumps, low revs wide open throttle being the worst condition i.e high cylinder pressure and early in the advance curve so the spark fails and the engine fluffs).
I completely agree with you, that is pretty much what I’ve seen on my old carby 900 and I am sure I have read similar or the same as that- certainly’Ducati up North’ go on about the ignition and the early bikes generally weak electrics due mostly to the undersized cable used.

Which is why I have these little beauts ready to fit when Mrs Flip gives me a break in decorating