View Single Post
Old 18-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #21
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
Thanks guys - I think I now understand

"It’s also giving the suspension more chance to move with bumps: think how the forks and steering react to a bump when leaning at 66 degrees!"
I do not think the suspension works much if at all after 45 degrees - any bump is a vertical deflection of the forks/frame because the fork sliders /rear shock would not slide
It is easier to visualise if you think of the vertical axis through the centre of the bike and rider staying vertical as you begin to corner, but the ground tilts beneath you. At 66 degrees of tilt you need pretty huge suspension movement for a small bump if the bike is to stay on line, but that movement reduces a lot in practise if the wheel can kick sideways a little. That’s changing the lean angle though, and there’s a risk of the tyre losing grip as you come off the bump, or as the wheel feels it, someone whips the ground out from underneath it.

Lighter wheels and tyres help massively, as does reduction in unsprung weight, then weight reduction generally.

As the rider can absorb some of the bumps by lifting off the saddle and flexing legs and arms the rider’s weight is less significant, but probably still better to lay off eating all of the pies!