View Single Post
Old 23-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #20
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookbob View Post
Don't think they are Ceriani, I have a diagram for those and mine are nothing like them. Apparently there were three different forks used at different stages of production, ceriani, Marzocci and Ducati,s own version. I have three different manuals for these bikes and my forks are not illustrated in any of them. Even the oil seals that all the classic parts suppliers sell won't fit, I had to source a pair from a general engineering company for a pair that fit.
All the other forks have two seals in each leg, mine only have one. I,m thinking now that maybe the Spanish used a different brand of fork than all the others, hence the difference in mine, so it,s going to be interesting to see how they handle.
That's looking lovely- as you know I am a big fan of the little singles and if I can help then please just ask.

Certainly the forks don't look like Ceriani to me and they're not like the Marzocchis that are fitted to my little racer and the yokes look very different to the ones used for either of those too (Each brand of forks uses the same brand of yoke from all that I have ever seen- even the scrapers are different between them too).

As for the seals, you are right about them using two seals in each leg but from the information I have from the various 'single Gurus' the reason was simply that the material used back then was a bit rubbish and was done simply to stop them leaking so frequently.

Of course there is nothing wrong in continuing fitting two (other than perhaps the effect of 'stiction' that using two sets may create) but you can buy seals that come with an aluminium spacer to take up the difference of the second seal which is obviously reusuable when it comes to replacement.

What diameter forks do you have fitted?

Very early Widecase bikes (which yours may be) used 31.5mm rather than the later 35mm.

Also to throw another into the mix the early 125 /175cc bikes used 30mm forks.

When I got Maxton to do the conversion of my Marzocchi forks I kept the internals so I can take photos (or anything else but my bikes is not very original now) for comparison if needed.