View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #1259
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
A couple of hours today messing around trying and failing to make any brake pipes. The stuff I ordered arrived yesterday and I spent half an hour working out which configuration of banjo fitting was best placed for the smooth routeing of the pipes. (I ordered 2 x straight, 2 x 45 degree and one each of 20 degrees and 90 degrees SS banjos plus 3 metres of black shrouded hose plus 3 x rubber hose clamp sleeves plus a tool for cutting the brake pipe for the 2 x front brake and 1 x rear brake lines - £170 ouch!!).
The banjos looked well made with a tubular spigot which is supposed to be inserted into the inside of the PTFE hose only it does not fit because the hose has been cut and is squashed flat. The cutters I bought are glorified scissors and because each cutting edge is not semi-circular they also cause the hose to be squashed flat. It is not easy to restore the 3 mm hole in the centre of the pipe to a 3 mm diameter circle from a 4.5 mm lozenge.
The banjo nut does not slide over the brake pipe because the sleeving is too thick and the olive inside the nut will also not fit over the PTFE tube. I haven't tried it yet but I think I will have to pare back the plastic sleeve and possibly the SS armour to get the banjo nut and the olive to be fitted correctly.
Also I suspect that the benefit of an olive fitting rather than a swaged up pipe is going to be illusory.
There were no instructions (or even handy hints) which given the safety critical nature of the product I find a bit surprising.
Doubtless I shall eventually work out a way to get them fitted but impressed I was not.

Last edited by 350TSS; 06-06-2020 at 04:36 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote