View Single Post
Old 30-05-2020, 06:13 AM   #1254
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Slow progress over the last week, SWMBO is working at home so her job list grows every time she walks around the house or the garden.
Sorry, no pictures at the moment as my phone has stopped communicating by email with my computer. I will have to get the attention of one of my computer-savvy kids to fix it.

I made up the support for the instrument surround which came out well and shortened the rear brake torque arm by 10mm.
This lead me to the problem with the rear brake pipe route. I tried all the old rubber pipes from the Monster but none were the right length or had the banjo union configuration that would work. The rear caliper will move probably about 50mm on its floating caliper mount so to allow for this the brake pipe will need a horizontal bend just before it connects to the caliper union so the brake caliper hanger bracket can move freely without straining the brake pipe. The rubber pipes were definitely far more accommodating of having this bend in them.
In playing around with the different pipes what I discovered is that as important as the actual configuration of the banjo union (20, 45, 60 or 90 degree) is the axial orientation of the two banjo unions relative to each other. The two spare S4 pipes I have which are too short but are SS sleeved plastic will not tolerate any axial twist.
In researching brake pipes for both the front and the back from the likes of HEL it seems they are made up with a fixed relationship between the banjo unions as the pipes are connected to the unions with a swaged joint permanently pressed up in a hydraulic crimper. I think the likelihood of me being able to order exactly the right configuration of banjo union and specifying exactly the degree of axial twist is virtually zero unless I take the bike to the place that makes them up, which means making an appointment with somewhere probably not yet open, hiring a van etc etc.

Venhill sells a DIY brake pipe kit from a menu of components which uses compression fittings with olives. It is not cheap but I think it will be a far better solution as it will take away the problem of axial misalignment. I have now just got to decide what configuration of banjo unions I will need.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote