View Single Post
Old 25-03-2017, 11:48 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Each to their own, but I do like a monster in black.
And the mods look tidy.

Staring at the side view, I got to thinking .. two things.

First, interesting discs with their "slant cut" bobbin holes.
Makes sense to put the meat where the forces go.
Presumably that means that fewer bobbins can take the load, so they'll be lighter .. and they look it.
Its spinning, unsprung weight too .. which is as valuable as a pair of carbon wheels.
I assume from the yellow paint dots on the bolts that they're original fitment.

Second, the frame mount points, now that they go to the cylinder heads, are nice and widely spaced, giving a stiffer structure .. as long as the cylinders can take the load.
I guess a shorter stroke, as seems to be the tendency (I think .. certainly is with the Panigale) gives a greater chance of rigid cylinders which are able to be stressed frame components in this way.
Then look at the motor and how it forms a structural triangle which tapers back to the swingarm pivot .. its perfect.
I love this kind of engineering, where components are made to serve more than one major purpose .. because then you only need the weight of one lump instead of two (to a certain extent) .
Ok, techy stuff is impressive too but there is something pure and beautiful about getting the basics right at a deep level.
And of course, you can't have big cylinders in a short stroke screamer without losing control of the heavy valve gear ... unless its a desmo.
And a big, torquey twin will vibrate its nuts off, unless its at 90 deg.
Oh I do love Ducatis.

Shame they then stuck a single sided swinger on it, but I guess the market gets what the market wants if you're to stay in business.

I'm wedded to my M750 but if such tech was applied to an aircooled, sub 900cc bike with a double sided swinger and with minimal, injection-only electronics and no rider aids I might find myself tempted to take a mistress.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote