View Single Post
Old 25-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
One possible advantage with this system is that, if you spot a nail in the tyre before it has gone completely flat, you can repair it without losing the remaining air that's still in there.
This is largely because the hole does not need to be reamed out to a larger size to accept the repair plug.
Instead, with the insertion tool ready and loaded with a plug, the nail can be removed with pliers and the plug inserted straight away before any significant amount of air has escaped.
With their more expensive kits, they even include a little tapered needle which you can use as an air stopper between removing the nail and fitting the plug .. but I didn't bother with that.
This will hopefully mean that fewer gas cartridges need to be carried .. I'm packing two of them at the moment, instead of my original three.
I did wonder about a micro-compressor but I decided that was overkill really, and although I haven't particularly researched this I imagine that they would still be bulky enough to make carrying one on the bike problematic.
All you really need is enough air to get you to the nearest garage in limp mode.

My underseat storage compartment now contains ..
The std Ducati tool kit .. extended with a full set of allen keys with extension tube for leverage, a couple of small spanners, some cable ties and four vinyl gloves.
A tiny (and refillable) 100ml can of S-Doc chain lube (just fits if you trim the cap slightly).
The puncture repair tool.
Another pouch containing small pliers for nail removal, two gas cartridges with delivery adaptor and a tiny knife for trimming the repair plugs.
That lot all fits (just) and doesn't weigh all that much .. in fact it still weighs less than my Corbin seat used to, without any tool storage at all.

Btw, if anyone has a spare Ducati tool pouch, I'm after one.

Actually, now that I think of it, I do have a strange little device which I bought in the 70s, which screws into a spark plug hole and then pumps a tyre using cylinder pressure, via a diaphragm arrangement.
Its tiny .. but then you would also need a long hose to reach the wheel.
Overkill.
The beauty of the Dynaplug system is that it reduces the need for this aspect of the repair .. by retaining most of the air that's still left in there.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote