View Single Post
Old 14-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #27
sram

Bike: M600
On wow. Today was revelatory. I am over the moon right now and it feels like I’ve reached Monster running nirvana after almost three years and two monsters. I thought I’d have one last tinker before booking into a tuner. I warmed the bike up this morning and then dug our the colourtune that I bought a couple of years ago. Ive used it before, but I’ve never been able to get the spark colour to change much, with it remaining blue even after turning the mixture screws counter clockwise 3-4 turns. Well, this time I wondered what would happen if kept turning. I must have turned about 6 full revolutions and I saw the colour of the combustion turn a lovely yellow. I slowly turned it back in until the yellow disappeared and I was left with “Bunsen blue” (as the instructions advise). I then repeated this for the other cylinder and all I can say is: oh my god. I now have a bike that responds instantly when I snap the throttle from idle. There is no hesitation and the exhaust note is crisp and consistent, unlike it was when the mixture screws were 2-3 turns out.
In all of my reading and research on rebuilding and tuning the Mikunis, everything I’ve come across suggests that anything more than 3 turns out from fully seated won’t have any or much of an effect on the mixture. Today’s tinkering seems to contradict that. I must be at about 5-5 1/2 turns out and the bike is running like it never has before. There is now an urgency that has never been present with this monster.
I’m still tempted to have it checked by a pro with a gas analyser, but for now I am going to bloody enjoy riding it and the responsivness off idle.
sram is offline   Reply With Quote