View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Transmission slack?

Ever since I rode that ultra smooth electric bike I've thought my Monster was a bit harsh.

I would have thought I would have gotten over the electric bike by now and settled back into what was always one of my smoother motorbikes, but I think there is definitely something different going on?

It feels like a chain so slack that it's about to fall off the sprockets. (Please don't ask me how I know what that feels like it was a very long time ago!)
I've checked the tension on the chain and lubed it since the electric ride.

The worst time is between power on and power off, particularly at a fairly neutral throttle with the power not really on or off.

Obviously I'm very familiar with large L twin power delivery, it's not like I've just jumped of a UJM.

Gear changes seem to have become a little harder to get smooth, going up and more so going down.

The clutch is a 48 tooth with a small amount of wear. There is negligible play in the sprocket cush drive.

When in gear I can roll the bike back and forth 70mm measured on the ground, before meeting resistance. it doesn't matter which gear. I measured this with a square off the back tyre onto my level floor.

That seems like a lot of free play to me? Is it excessive? If so where can the play be? I wouldn't have thought it was the gears, but I am wondering if it might be the primary gears?
Maybe just cumulative wear in everything after more than 40,000 spirited miles?