View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Before you think about changing the bearings, Garry, check your belt tension isn't too tight as this is a known, if not widespread, problem on the Evo.

I posted this on an earlier thread in reply to someone experiencing a similar noise to yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post

I have an 1100 Evo but have never experienced this noise, either from new or with replacement belts. However, I do remember reading about this phenomenon on a German website back in 2014 and it seems that this problem is quite well-known although it doesn't affect every bike.

It seems that this German owner had the cambelt noise at 4 bars on the temperature gauge and reported it to his dealer. Belts and rollers were changed to no effect.

After referring the matter back to Ducati Germany, it transpired that Ducati were aware of this problem and that there was an internal workshop bulletin to deal with it.

According to the service manual, the tension of new belts should be set to 140Hz and used belts should be 100Hz. The lower limit when the belts should be readjusted is given as 70Hz.

The internal workshop instruction told dealers to set the tension to the lower limit of 70Hz in cases of noisy cambelts. This reduced tension apparently eliminates or considerably reduces the noise.

Ducati never revealed the cause of the noise, or even whether they actually discovered what it was.

So this is a known problem at Ducati, although it only affects a small minority of bikes. It seems that it's an annoying problem rather than a damaging one so shouldn't be anything to worry about and your dealer should be able to do something to reduce the noise if it's bothering you.
Have a look at the whole thread...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=48249

which you might find helpful.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote