View Single Post
Old 18-04-2023, 08:59 PM   #11
motomartin11

Bike: M750
I too have had loads of problems with my '96 M750. They worsened when I changed the fuel tank as the original was leaking. Mine had exhibited poor low speed running like yours but not as bad.

It was always happiest under acceleration-the harder the better and was somewhat difficult to ride in town, especially commuting. Carb set up will depend on what pipes / cans and air box combination you are running. It turned out my carbs were on standard settings but running Sil cans and an after-market air filter.

After changing the tank mine became worse and worse and my mate has spent the winter going through it big time at great cost .

The replacement fuel tank was extremely rusty inside despite having been repainted to look very smart externally.

Consequently although the carbs were ultrasonically cleaned several times over the winter and the tank flushed many times-even to the extent of my mate sending me a video of his hose at full pressure through the filler and with the water escaping at pressure , each time the tank and carbs were put back on the misfire / poor running would re-occur due to the rusty debris from the tank.

The fuel filter was re-newed several times , the fuel pump was also rebuilt and the vacuum tap was changed to a manual type.

There were ignition issues as well as a result of the poor fuelling and I had to replace the ignition pick ups with new ones from Electrex World and get new igniter boxes from Germany. The wiring was in a very poor state resulting in rewiring of parts of the loom including a new coil harness ,cleaning or replacement of the majority of the electrical connectors, repair and replacement of the reg / reg wiring etc etc etc..!He also sent me a video of the sparks breaking down -hence the new ignition parts / wiring referred to above.

On top of all this somehow the crank needed a repair at the ignition end as the securing nut had come undone damaging the crank end.

More work was needed but I won't go into that now!

I'm told my bike is now running sweetly using a remote fuel tank BUT I had to get the original fuel tank welded up and he hasn't been able to repaint it due to the poor and lengthy winter cold / damp weather.

My bike was returned to me after Christmas but as I don't have a useable fuel tank it's been off the road since last September when it started running so erratically I couldn't ride it safely .

I'm not sure how much of the above will be relevant to your bike but it does go to show the effects of what can happen over time and what you may have to resort to to resolve historical issues which may have never been fully tackled previously. I wish you good luck in resolving your running problems and fingers crossed they won't be as bad as mine.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote