View Single Post
Old 14-12-2023, 09:41 AM   #12
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
My TPS is a Keihin branded part and came with the electrical connectors and Keihin mounting bracket, not sure if others would fit as easily?

I made the Ally bracket because, due to the position of the TPS on the side of the carb, between the two where I have numerous cables etc. I felt the supplied bracket was too flimsy, being held with just one bolt but that's probably overkill on my part? I had the ally lying around and it cost me nothing to make something thicker so I did.

To fit the TPS I needed a longer shaft that sticks out the end of the carb and that has a groove in it for the TPS to locate and there is a 5mm threaded hole for the bracket by the shaft as per;

Removing the original shaft is a simple strip down job but I had to change the end bearing for an open version rather than the sealed original, see the original shaft, sealed bearing and TPS bracket here;

You can see where the bracket fits in the pic of the carb, using the one 5mm locating screw where my bracket adds a second, 6mm screw on an extra 'leg' in an otherwise redundant hole (I think there for joining carbs when using a banked setup?) and is made from thicker material;

The Keihin bracket is functionally the same and made from steel rather than ally so plenty strong enough but I like 'belt and braces' and wanted to add an extra support, I did consider adding a brace to it but decided it was easier to use it as a template to make a new bracket with the brace built in and the thick ally plate (needed the counterbore due to the thickness) was a convenient way of making it.

The bearings are widely available and only cost a couple of quid IIRC so no bother there.*

I've not seen the banked carbs close up so don't know what the shaft setup is? (one long shaft or two shorter but linked?) there may even be provision for the TPS? presumably it will go on the end of the bank which maybe a 'safer' position than on mine which has cable assemblies on both sides due to the carbs being split-singles?

In fact, I wonder if the bracket was made for a banked setup rather than a single and may be a better fit on them?

If you go down the TPS route and if it's any help you're welcome to the bracket as I won't be needing it.

*Edited to add, open bearing here; https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p8...duct_info.html

Last edited by Dukedesmo; 14-12-2023 at 05:24 PM..
Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote