Thread: Loosing weight!
View Single Post
Old 27-09-2019, 12:19 AM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Most cost effective move is to fit a lithium battery, particularly if you have the super-heavy, wet acid 16AL-A2 type. I saved a whopping 5.5kg there.
I dunno what the std exhaust system weighs but the cans are heavy. I began by fitting high level titanium termis, which I have recently replaced with a single-can high level system in big bore, thin wall tubing. This latter change saved over 4kg.
Then there's the wheels. I got lucky in that Dymag had an offer I couldn't refuse at a time when I was a little more flush with cash than usual. Result, a lovely pair of carbon wheels. I dunno exactly how much dead weight I saved there but its the rotating weight that counts and this was by far the most noticeable improvement to the bike's handling .. reminded me of my old 350 2-stroke yamaha.
Nitron shock is fairly light too, but I dunno exactly how much I've saved there, and it does add a hydraulic preload adjuster into the mix as well.
Other changes have been fairly minor ... ally bars, bar-end mirrors, the odd bit of titanium here and there.
Plus there have been weight additions .. homemade small screen, bellypan, airscoops for a while and even handguards.
I also fitted an ally swingarm, but the weight saving there is minimal ... though it does look a whole lot nicer.
Net result, including a bit of extra toolkit, a tyre plugger and CO2 cartridges and a mini can of chain lube ..... she's just a tad over 160kg at the moment, with a bone dry petrol tank.
Bear in mind though, the 750 starts off a bit lighter than some monsters.
I've done no engine work, neither tuning nor lightening.
I do have rearsets but they carry pillion pegs so probably don't save a lot of weight.
Oh yes, and an ally Renthal rear sprocket is a cost effective way to reduce dead, unsprung and rotating weight in one fell swoop.

Capo is the man for extreme weight saving.
His S4R is phenomenally light.
The pair together were a significant inspiration for my efforts.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote