View Single Post
Old 23-01-2017, 10:16 PM   #50
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks Tim.

I've been roughly pricing materials up.
Aluminium is way the most expensive. (you need to be able to swing 191mm diameter Jeff) followed by Delrin, which seems to be very difficult to obtain in sheets which divide into 200mm squares for the blanks.
Then there is a polypropylene type sheet. That would seem equally difficult to machine as Delrin. My experience with thermo-plastics is that they can very easily weld themselves back together behind the cut, although I believe that good results can be had with slower cutter speeds and single flute bits... Still a bit of an unknown as far as working these plastics are concerned?

Tricoya is still coming out on top for price and workability. Finishing it is remarkably easy with paint, and I think a better finish is achieved compared to what I could machine onto the plastics. Unfortunately I would have to buy enough Tricoya to make 72 adaptors and at the moment my arm is not exactly being bitten off for the 3 that I have available @£5 each.
I think that until the Carbon fibre ones get off the ground that Tricoya is the ideal material.
If we could just stop thinking of it as MDF and think of it more in terms of the Titanium of the woodwork world... It really is a different animal.

By the way Jeff I had a slight dyslexic moment when I glanced at the name cast on the lens of the new light. It says AUTOPAL.... Maybe the way the light caught it , but I was sure it said UTOPIA...