View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #20
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Had a problem on the 916, dealer adjusted the brake pedal position at the first service and left too little play in the lever.

After 3-4 miles the bike started slowing and eventually the rear wheel just seized at a roundabout, when I looked around the pads were on fire and the paint on the rim of the disc had burnt off.

A couple of years later the caliper started leaking which, I assume was a hangover of the burning incident?

The mounting of the master cylinder to the engine cases causes the brake to go bad after time presumably due to the heat (needs bleeding despite there being no apparent leaks) and is very a poor design, but the fitting of the rear master cylinder support bolt to the same bracket that holds the exhaust to the engine is an absolute masterstroke in heat management!

The odd thing is that the 916 uses the same master cylinder and caliper setup as the Monster yet the rear brake is crap whilst that on my Monster is good and I don't think it's all down to the slightly smaller (10mm less) disc, rather just to poor setup.

I also have the floating caliper setup on the monster but, claims of transfering load to the engine under braking etc. apart, IMO the only real advantage is less drag...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote