View Single Post
Old 15-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
Nasher

Bike: M900
As an aside on this job, a small warning to others contemplating changing their fork seals.

I've had for a few years a Sealey 41mm(inner) fork seal driver, the split type, and have used it on several pairs of forks to push the seal home.

I tried using it on my M900 Marzocchi forks in this thread and found the outer diameter was too big to fit inside the fork leg.
A split driver is not strictly necessary on them as the fork is apart when you push it home, but you should tap it home with a drift of the right diameter.

I was going to turn up a special driver to use, but couldn't find and bar of a large enough size in my garage or a big socket that would do the job, so ended up turning down the end of the Sealey driver in my lathe.

So the warning is: If you are doing this job and buy a Sealey 41mm inner diameter driver, please be aware the outer diameter is too big to fit down inside the hole!
I'm lucky enough to have a Lathe in my garage, you'd have to modify it with a file otherwise.

Another aside, I mentioned my homemade Fork Oil level setting tool and Spring Compressor.

Both make life a lot easier when working on forks.

The Oil level tool is used by overfilling the fork with oil, setting the adjustable tube to the depth required and sucking out the additional oil.

The Spring compressor compresses the spring and holds the fork securely whilst you remove the slotted washer and then releases the tension in a controlled way. then the opposite for reassembly.

Nasher

Last edited by Nasher; 15-04-2020 at 10:32 AM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote