View Single Post
Old 29-08-2023, 01:06 PM   #5
900Rebuilder

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
WOW Lucky you caught that !!!

That is an 851/888 swing arm and they were notorious for cracking, given the distance that the pivot has moved I would also have a good look at the engine casing just to make sure there is no damage ??

That arm is toast the effort/cost to repair if indeed it could be reliably repaired will make it unviable you will need to remove a lot of metal to get weld penetration while trying to keep it from worping and then linebore the spindal holes.

As for the bracing on a road bike it is purely cosmetic and you will not feel any difference on the street, however If you do trackdays and you run high spring rates, slick tyres and you are capable of running with the fast guys it will indeed have the desired effect.

The later arms toward the end of 888 production and susequently fitted to the Monster used a better grade alloy and no bracing, but no reason why you could not move the brace over to your spare arm if you really have to have it on the bike
Good to hear about the 888 arms as that's what I'll be running if I can locate the correct hugger