View Single Post
Old 29-08-2023, 11:33 AM   #1
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Swingarm cracked...

Riding home yesterday and the bike started feeling a bit 'loose' at the rear end, similar feeling to a puncture.

Stopped to investigate, to find this;

At this point it was difficult to see the cause, indeed it looked as if the spindle had simply slid out due to not being torqued up sufficiently so, rather than call for breakdown and wait the inevitable 2-3 hours and, given I was only 14 miles from home and had some basic tools, I managed to re-seat it with the help of a rock (don't carry a hammer in the toolkit!) and then rode it steadily home.

Today I am investigating and find the right-hand side looks like this;

And the left, like this;

A tricky repair methinks however, I do have a spare swingarm albeit not a braced version.

So I'm now considering my options;

1. Repair the braced swingarm.

2. Fit the standard swingarm.

3. Transfer the bracing from braced arm to standard arm and so continue with a braced arm but without relying on a tricky repair.

Incidentally the braced arm is slightly wider at the front. Wide enough that the circlip grooves in the spindle don't stick out of the end so the clips can't be fitted - having the clips would have prevented the spindle working it's way out even with the cracks.

Always wondered why this was, presumably this swingarm should have a longer spindle? but I've never seen one and I've got 2, both of which are the same length and fit nicely in the non-braced arm but only sit flush with the end of the braced arm.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote