View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Checking in my manual, I notice that the pistons are marked in the area of the valve cutouts, A for inlet, S for exhaust......but presumably (?) its just a matter of fitting them the right way round for each cylinder, rather than any dimensional difference between front and rear.
I also notice that both the piston crown and the top face of the barrel are marked with a "size" code, A or B, so you'd need to match that.
The manual (both Haynes 2V and my genuine Ducati for M750) makes no mention of any difference between front and rear, as far as I can see.
One has to wonder though, if the front and rear pistons are identical, why are they differentiated at all ? (I presume you're talking about brand new pistons). Surely the extra part number is just unnecessary parts dept complication .

Just out of interest, has this bike had a big bellypan on it during its life ?
I only ask because in my experience, the big ones which encase the front header tend to make the engine overheat, particularly when the bike is stationary, and I'm wondering whether there's a link to accelerated front cyl piston wear/slap.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote