View Single Post
Old 09-01-2024, 10:04 AM   #18
Nasher

Bike: M900
Glad they arrived OK Sir G

It’s been a long time since we first discussed these forks, mainly because of my unexpected work trip, so for the benefit of everyone else it’s worth me pointing out a couple of things.

The point of the exercise is of course to provide updated damper etc technology and radial brakes with the older 50/54mm yokes.
The Superbikes, 848/1098, etc have 53/53mm Outers and Yokes.
This set I’ve built to the same spec as the ones I built for my M1000ie, and I think they are a good improvement.
The other benefit is the swap to Radial Calipers. Although the discs need spacing out on the wheel either side by @4.5mm to line up with the new Calipers.

Just to be clear, the Outers have no effect on the overall length of the fork assembly.
The length is set by the length of the Damper rod etc inside, which in this case has to come from the 848/1098 forks.
So they are superbike length and longer than Monster forks by I think @15-20mm, so need to be higher up in the yokes than the Monster forks to keep the ride height and geometry the same.

Also, the outers from Marks stash are longer than Monster ones, but slightly shorter than SS ones. We never did establish what they are from.
It’s perfectly possible to build a pair with Monster outers, but more of the stanchion will be exposed and they might look a bit ‘Motorcross’.
The distance between the sliding bushes would also be shorter, so they could wear out a little quicker with slightly increased forces acting on them.

I have worked out a way to shorthen the whole assembly with some machining of the Damper rod assembly and possibly stanchion.
It’s complicated by the 848/1098 damper adjustment system having a rod tapered at the end which is almost the full length of the forks.
But until I’ve tried this for myself I can’t be 100% certain the adjustment won’t be compromised.

Good luck!