View Single Post
Old 24-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #26
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Indeed, the Cagiva font hasn’t been used on the 25th anniversary Monster nor the V4 Foggy 916 Panigale.

They failed to match the original gold frame shade too.
Yes I noticed they didn't use it on the Foggy Pani which I thought was a shame really almost making it a half hearted tribute- perhaps because he's now working for Triumph and CCM

As for the frame paint- I think even back in the day there were variations of it but certainly the 20th Anniversary bikes were nowhere near.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenDesmo View Post
Full disclosure: That photo was not taken at my place, they're not my bins

I can't say I'm a fan of that original font, but it is interesting to learn that there is obviously some copyright with Cagiva and permission was not granted to use it after the company moved hands (again).
Just when we were getting all excited and about to elevate you into a new found Hallowed Bindom you (rubbish) sack us off!

'Tis funny as when I bought my '97 Monster at the end of 1999 (from a mate who bought it new) I was riding a '96 GSX-R750WT and to begin with the Monster felt antiquated to say the least but there was something about the way it rode that I instantly loved- the seemingly endless 'real world' torque but as I became more aware of Monster models the TPG takeover had refreshed the font, bought out the fuel injected model and generally modernised the look using the ST frame and it's rising rate rear suspension (as opposed to the 888 hoop) making my bike look and feel even older and I began to wish I had waited and bought a later model.

As time went on I bought an S4 along side the Monster (I still had the GSX-R too at this point) and on paper it was more powerful, better handling and enjoyed a more modern touch from the switchgear to fuel injection and water cooling but there was some old world charm with the 2v motor that was under my skin and so I waved bye bye to the S4 and set about making the old 900 truly 'mine'.

Today, almost twenty years and 35000 miles later I love it more than ever- it puts a smile on my face literally every time I ride it and now that even Ducati themselves can't use the Cagiva font I smile even more- that'll teach the Audi bastids to bring the old models' service parts prices 'in line' with current models.