View Single Post
Old 26-07-2023, 12:09 PM   #9
Nasher

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Hydraulic clutches are generally easier to modulate and have a lighter, more consistent lever pull since there's a master cylinder and a slave cylinder amplifying your grip strength
What he said.

Quote:
In general sport bikes / Race bikes use cables in preference to hydraulic, as they are simple and can be adjusted easily.
Yep, far more difficult to adjust a Hydraulic Clutch
I've often thought an adjustable length push rod or screw in the slave piston would be useful, but then think that if the rest of the system is working as it should there is no need for adjustment.

Quote:
Hydraulic clutches are more complex and require more maintenance compared to clutch cables. They are also more prone to leaks and other issues that can affect their performance, require more regular maintenance to ensure proper performance and longevity.
And there lies one of their problems
With no external adjustment or obvious maintenance regime too many assume they are a fit and forget maintenance free system

Some of us for example change our brake fluid every few years, and adding the Clutch fluid to that is natural.

Those that don't change their brake fluid get away with it a lot because the action of pushing the Caliper pistons back when new pads are required at least moves the fluid about a bit and frees off the pistons.
That just doesn't happen with a clutch.