Thread: M900 dash, help
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I used to have one of these units.
From my notes, the red, green and blue wires connect to the red, brown/green and blue wires respectively at the plug which connects to the left side CDI unit (often called "igniter box").
So blue goes to blue.
The other (yellow) wire is fed from the speedo light positive feed.
I dunno whether you can connect to either left or right CDI unit, but my instructions (from previous owner) were to use the left, so that's what I did.
If memory serves, I think it is possible to get a piggyback connector for this job, which makes things tidier. Flip may have more info on this.

Right then, now the downside ....
I don't like these units at all.
My main gripe is that the revcounter module is massively heavy and, despite being carbon fibre, the mounting dash is poorly designed and weak.
This means that there is a high degree of bounce in the fitted assembly.
This in turn stresses the speedo unit which is now essentially supported by the cable rather than the dash.
The upshot of this is that (in my case at least) the internal anti-vibration mountings fracture.
The nature of these anti-vibration mountings is that the two mounting bolts for the speedo are in fact constructed from two halves which are bonded together with a rubber element between them, and the mounts fail at these points.
Sorry, I used to have pics but lost them with the demise of photobucket.

On top of all this, the unit in your pic looks to have some damage around the righthand mounting which will further weaken it.

Another downside of these units is that the readout is (in my personal experience) rather erratic and as such is not of much practical use.
Added to that, I don't think a revcounter is really necessary on the 2-valve motors anyway. The only reason I wanted one on my bike was to avoid searching for an extra gear that wasn't there. I've since abandoned that line of thought.

Genuinely, my personal advice would be not to bother fitting the unit at all.
Having said that though, I believe Flip likes his, and he's a pretty sensible chap.
You pays yer money and takes yer choice.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote