Thread: 'ello
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
stormlet

Thanks for the welcome, folks It's going to be such a blast when that there Monster actually gets here - the only concern that I have - well, apart from worrying about it being a complete heap with a knackered engine - can't help being a bit pessimistic - is that I might not be able to get my feet down. But it is a nice low bike, eh? and it'll be OK...
* bites fingernails*

Rally, there are three vehicle ferries that come over - one from Aberdeen to Kirkwall which is an eight hour trip, one from Scrabster (Thurso) to Stromness, about an hour and a half, and the one from Gills Bay to St Margaret's Hope, just about an hour.

The A9 from Inverness up is a lovely road - very twisty and fantastic scenery. Coming up the other side - the West - is probably even more beautiful, there is still quite a bit of single track. At this time of year the dreaded midges can turn it into a bit of a nightmare (stop in a passing place and raise your visor? Noooooo, I wouldn't do that if I were you...)

I would of course say that it is worth coming - Orkney is a fab place, the roads aren't great but there are lots of things to recommend it. There's even a rally the last weekend in August - the Twatts Twits Trot. Yes, we do have a place called Twatt. Honest.