View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #1261
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Thanks Luddite - tried that and it works with no crushing.
Today, I spent another couple of hours trying and failing to make any brake pipes.
The problem I have is that the shape of the olive that sits over the end of the PTFE hose and is supposed to be inserted between the hose and the SS armour which then is compressed by an internally tapered fitting nut which just does not have enough spare thread to engage on the banjo fitting. Added to which the black outer sleeving material is too snug within the nut so the whole assembly becomes solid so to engage the thread you must turn the whole pipe.
I may be missing something but I think the design is flawed as it relies on the brass olive being crushed sufficiently to grip the PTFE pipe.
Several times I managed to actually assemble one of the front brake caliper banjos and having tightened it as much as I dare for a 10mm x 1mm thread I tested the integrity of the join by pulling on the brake pipe and each time the pipe pulled straight out.
I have decided to put this one down to experience and will order Goodridge as recommended by Dukedesmo.
Two other jobs got done today.
1. I made up some mesh grills to fit into the front of the air scoops. Originally I bought some aluminium mesh but it was just too flimsy and I could not work out a way of retaining the mesh in the mouth of the air scoop. So I bought some brass mesh and some 1.5mm brass rod which I bent to form a frame to fit just inside the scoop. I then soldered the mesh to the frame. I will secure the frame to the air scoop with some black silicone adhesive although I have a feeling this could get a bit messy.
2. I machined up some 8mm aluminium hexagon bar to make 2 guides for pushbuttons (made from 6mm dia brass bar turned down to 3mm) that will go through the clear acrylic sheet that sits in front of the speedometer/revcounter. These pushbuttons will enable me to set the trip meter (important as I do not have a tank sender unit or gauge) and calibrate the speedo sensor (and a couple of other functions).
Sorry still no photos.

Last edited by 350TSS; 10-06-2020 at 05:49 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote