View Single Post
Old 25-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #1319
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Help required
I have finally completed the 4th iteration of wiring this project and following the removal of the M unit I now have lights (DRL, instruments, indicators (including repeaters in the instruments) dip, and main beam, rear and number plate lights, brake lights) that should pass MOT, together with a working horn, working starter and run/kill switch. The camera and monitor works as does the voltmeter.
I have 3 remaining problems
1. The oil pressure switch remains a challenge. It effectively is an OFF switch which goes to earth through the clutch casing. When connected it blows the fuse, unsurprisingly as the single lead powering it is fed from the switched circuit from the ignition. I really want a double pole insulated oil pressure switch so that I can run power to it and the switch works when the oil pressure is OK and switches off the light on the instrument panel. I have spent some time searching the internet but cannot find one with 2 poles. I considered adapting a brake hydraulic switch and even obtaining a small pressure gauge and mounting it down on the clutch casing. It is not vital so a solution will emerge - I am currently favouring the gauge idea as it gives better information than a light which is not on when a preset minimum pressure is at the base of the switch.
2. The neutral switch does not light the indicator in the instruments at the moment - also not vital
3. The real reason for this request for help is that I have power to the coils (both sides) but no spark whatsoever.
The equipment fitted to the bike is as follows:
a) FastBike gear ignition Hall effect trigger mounted on the jack shaft drive belt pulley connected to
b) An Ignitech unit which came with the FastBike Gear and a wiring diagram that showed where the 9 or so wires going in and out of the unit should go on the possible 23 wiring positions available on the unit. It is definitely wired as FastBike gear recommend.
c) 2 x California Cycle works high output coils. With the ignition turned on and the kill switch in the "run" position I have 12 volts on both terminals on each coil. I have tried reversing the coil connections and in either orientation there are no sparks when the starter motor is cranked.
The starter motor spins the engine faster (with the spark plugs in) than I have ever heard any Ducati starter motor. The plugs are new NGK, not iridium. The leads are new, the caps are new, NGK, supplied with the coils so I am assuming there are no issues with whether or not the caps are fitted with resistors or not.

There are no exciter units and I am wondering if the system would need something to amplify the signal from the Hall effect unit or whether the Ignitech unit performs that function?

All suggestions gratefully received
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote