View Single Post
Old 16-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #14
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
No bike is worth the sum of it's parts, just look at the cost of building any bike from the spares catalogue, not many could afford a bike. I think you would have to base it on how much it would cost to replace with good second hand parts (because essentially that's what you have). Just my thoughts on the matter.
Sorry I should have made myself clearerer

What I meant was give a price for my bike back to standard and then try to put figures on the aftermarket items which have been fittted over the years, plus try to get something added for the Maxton reworked forks and Nitron shock etc. as quality replacements for worn out original parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
I guess you’d have to find a couple of suitable replacements for sale to back up your valuation, or do an on-paper exercise of building a replacement. Then submit photos of your bike plus pics of your stored parts and any receipts you can provide. None of which will compensate you for the sense of loss you’d feel losing your ‘old friend’, but you’ll never get an insurance company to recognise that aspect of what’s just an asset to them.
Yep I think you’ve hit the nail on the head for what I’ll try to do and totally agree with you regarding the sense of loss should the worst happen.

It was bad enough a few years ago when I was mugged at knifepoint outside my flat for my Suzuki DR350 that I had bought for green-laning.

Police never caught them and now the bike is back on the road according to DVLA- how is that allowed to happen after a total loss payout?