View Single Post
Old 24-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #15
Flip

Bike: M900
It's funny how times have changed presumably as lubrication technology has developed but looking through my 1997 handbook it simply says to use Agip 4T Super racing which back then was only available in 20w50 grade.

The maintenance schedule back then would have you changing the oil and filter every 3000 miles and doing a valve check at the same, this is obviously why back then Ducati ownership was out of a lot of peoples' reach.

So as oil technologies improved initially Ducati simply extended those figures to bring their running costs more in line with other manufacturers.

The one thing which spoils our old two valve motors from being as good as they can is allowing the valves to go out of their original tighter tolerances.

Incidentally, despite supposed lubrication improvements my old 1965 race bike still runs 20w50 (as recommended by the bevel drive experts) ensuring modern thinner oils do not by-pass things they shouldn't on start up. Obviously correct warming up is paramount not to incur premature wear.

I know when I changed to the Ducati recommended Shell Advance my bike would use a little oil between changes but strangely on Silkolene (same as I use on my race bike) it doesn't use any

So perhaps older Monsters benefit being run on their original grades?