View Single Post
Old 24-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I did find this reccomended somewhere on the wub although there were no mixing instructions ...
ostrich lard, astro lube, and extra extra VIRGIN olive oil

I think that the extra virgin is the critical component.

An interesting aside on the Syth / non-synth debate...

In Europe Castrol won a court case which meant that Group III Mineral based oils could be termed "synthetic".
This gives you varied pour points (consider it how thick/runny the oil is at different temperatures) so Shell Advance Ultra 4 10W-40 is -30C and Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 is -54C.
Which means the fully syth oils are runnier when cold, great thing when starting up on a cold day AND loose less viscosity when they get hot.

Having said that my last monster ran to 100K on regular changes of forecourt semi-synth. With any oil it's the change frequency that dictates engine life and to a degree the long term cost of consumables.
At peak I was changing oil at intervals of less than 2 months because I was doing some big miles (50 to 100 a day) so long term cost became a bit important!

At the moment I'm using Shell Advanced 4T as it was a bargain batch and I'm running next to no miles