View Single Post
Old 17-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
Maybe you should make a series a la James May's "The Assembler"?
Well it's an inevitably that it will have to go back together at some point. There have been so many threads showing basket cases and the hours and hours of work that go into restoring them back to their original condition. I'm aiming to focus on the re-assembly and cutting out all the work in between, which has been done to a turn by others many times. In essence I have pressed the fast forward button and what's seen is basically a giant jigsaw puzzle of parts, cleaned/prepped/replaced/restored being bolted back together. I'm only 5 weeks in from initially tearing the bike apart, and the engine is almost complete, following a total rebuild, soda blasting, painting and re-assembly, so happy with the rate of progress, since as mentioned, this bike has to be road worthy by the end of June.

The engine should be going back into the newly painted frame within a week Everything else is ready to go. All I have got left to source are some new brake/clutch levers, a few seals, spherical bearings, filler cap and re-fit the fuel pump to the tank and I'm looking at another two weeks to complete it. The engine is going to be test run at Carl Harrison's for three minutes, then the oil and filter will get dumped for fresh stuff. This is to preclude any chance of any remains of the blasting media being left inside, although the cases were cleaned and flushed numerous times before the guts went back in. Best to be safe than sorry.